This is the post I’ve been dreading writing.
A few weeks ago, I got the call no one in this game wants to get, that Amex was doing a financial review. I won’t bore people with all the details, but in short, all of my accounts were closed. I really don’t think that my situation is applicable to anyone else, so I’ll skip over what triggered it and why all of my accounts were closed despite the fact that I submitted all the documents they requested.
I’m writing this because I learned a couple things after getting shut down by Amex that might be useful to others.
- You can transfer out MR up to 90 days after account closure. This is a hard limit I received in writing (by letter) after being shutdown.
- You can get points made available that were pending when your account is closed.
- You can only transfer MR out to travel partners that you’ve already linked, not to ones that you haven’t yet. This precludes selling points to other people.
- Number 3 is wrong. If you push hard enough, you actually can link a new transfer account.
- Finally, any current promotions (like an increased ratio in transferring to a particular partner) is applied even though your account is closed.
Points 3-5 are probably the most interesting ones. After getting shutdown, I wanted to transfer out to Krisflyer. According to all the agents I spoke with at first, though, I had never linked a Krisflyer account, and they couldn’t do it now since my account had been “swept”, their term for closed. I made more than a couple calls, but no one could/would help me.
Fast forward to the recent British Airways transfer promo. I realized this was my best bet for value from the MR program, so I called in to transfer since I knew my BA account was linked. To my surprise, when I got a hold of an agent and told her I wanted to transfer out, she asked what my Singapore number was.
Importantly, she asked for it without me mentioning it at all. That means they must have notated my account. I decided to stick with BA because of the promotion, but that means that if you call in enough, it might be possible to actually link a new account. If you wanted, that should include other people’s accounts if you’re selling points.
Hopefully I’ll be a lot more active in posting since the dust has settled from this issue.